Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 800-232-3711
Phone: 713-921-4171
Steven M. Lee, PC

How to Help a Child Whose Parents Die in a Texas Vehicle Crash

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

The death of a loved one is difficult for everyone, especially children who lose their parents in an automobile accident. In addition to facing this tragedy, these kids must cope with the loss of their primary caregivers.

Texas Wrongful Death Claims

Losing loved ones is particularly traumatic when their deaths are caused by another person’s negligence. Nothing will erase the pain of this loss, but a wrongful death claim can provide financial security for children who have lost their parents in a vehicle accident.

Per Texas statutes, an action for wrongful death may be brought if the “wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default” of one party resulted in the death of another. Only the surviving spouse, children, or parents of the deceased are permitted to pursue wrongful death litigation.

In the case of a minor child, a family member is typically appointed as guardian. This individual is given the authority to bring suit against the parties responsible for the death of the child’s parents.

Wrongful Death Damages

The damages a child may receive due to the loss of his parents include medical bills incurred prior to death, funeral and burial costs, loss of income, loss of companionship, and mental anguish.

In addition, an orphan may receive further compensation related to his loss of inheritance. This is the loss of the current value of the assets that the deceased likely would have added to his estate prior to his natural death, had he not been killed in the vehicle collision.

A child whose parents die in a car accident needs help to cope with the emotional and financial devastation he suffered. Caring adults should consult a vehicle accident attorney to help him receive the compensation he needs and deserves. To learn more about what the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., can do for you, visit us on Facebook.


Category: Car Accidents and DWI Accidents


There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Helping a Child Who Loses His Parents in an Auto Accident"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

Live Chat