Bicycle Accident Rights
Bicycles are fun and economical forms of transportation that provide great exercise, but collisions between vehicles and bicycles often lead to devastating injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 467,000 bicyclists were injured in collisions during 2015. Cyclists need to know the steps they should take at the accident scene to protect their rights.
The Accident Scene
Traffic accidents are always chaotic and confusing, so you should know what to do in order to protect both your health and your financial recovery. Here's what to do:
- Call for help. The 911 dispatcher will help you determine if you need police, medical, or fire assistance.
- Get medical attention. Report any pain you’re experiencing to paramedics when they arrive on the scene.
- Talk to the police. Give your statement to the officer when he arrives. Ask him how you may obtain a copy of his report.
- Gather information. Taking notes helps you recall important details about the collision. Collect contact information from any witnesses, and take photos of the accident scene.
After the Accident
The steps you take after your bicycle collision can help secure your rights. First, you should:
- Visit your doctor. Your primary care physician can order diagnostic tests and refer you to specialists as needed.
- Photograph the damage. You’ll need proof of the harm the accident caused, so take pictures of your injuries and the damage to your bike.
- Delay any repairs. You may be anxious to fix your bicycle as soon as possible, but you should delay these repairs. Many insurance companies won’t pay for damage their representatives haven’t personally inspected, so you shouldn’t make any repairs until the company processes your claim.
Protecting Your Right to Compensation
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle collision, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You need professional representation by an experienced personal injury attorney to help you receive the compensation you deserve.
To learn more, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by clicking the Live Chat button on this page.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Protecting Rights to Compensation for a Bicycle Accident"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."