How to Stay Safe While Riding a Motorcycle
Steven M. Lee
You have every right to ride your motorcycle and other drivers are legally obligated to be careful and to avoid causing an accident.
Unfortunately, if a crash does occur, it is likely you who will be hurt regardless of who is at fault for the collision. Accordingly, it is important to know how to stay safe while riding and what to do if you are hurt in a crash.
Eight Safety Tips for Motorcycle Riders
Before you even get on the road, it is important to:
- Select the right motorcycle. It is important to ride a motorcycle that is the right size for you and that you find easy to operate.
- Know your bike. You need to know how your motorcycle works so that you are not figuring out how to adjust your mirrors or operate a turn signal while you are on the road.
- Know how to ride safely. Motorcycle operator training courses can give you valuable tips for protecting yourself on the road.
- Select your gear wisely. This includes equipment such as a helmet to protect your head, full-length pants and shirts to avoid road rash, and goggles to protect your eyes.
Every time you ride, it is important to:
- Be visible. Other drivers may not be watching for you. Accordingly, it is important to wear reflective clothing, to use your headlights, to avoid the blind spots of other drivers, and to use your horn when necessary.
- Be attentive. Continually assess the road for potential dangers and react to them. Avoid distractions and watch for other drivers.
- Leave yourself enough space. This will give you more time to adjust your course and avoid potential collisions with negligent drivers.
- Take appropriate precautions for the weather and road conditions. Wet roads, potholes, debris, and other issues can create risks for motorcycle riders. It is important to avoid the risks when you can and to slow down and take precautions when you can’t.
You are the best source of protection against negligent drivers. It is better to prevent a crash then to try to recover from the physical pain and financial hardships caused by motorcycle crash injuries. Unfortunately, sometimes you can do everything right and still be hurt by a negligent driver. In these situations, it is important be proactive in protecting your rights. Contact us today to learn more.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Safety Tips for Motorcyclists"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."