The Death of a Loved One Due to a Texas Construction Accident
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the construction industry is responsible for one out of five worker deaths each year.
Causes of Construction Site Fatalities
- Falls. Most construction accidents involve falls, and workers sometimes suffer fatal injuries due to falls from height, such as scaffolding.
- Struck by objects. Heavy objects, when dropped from above, can cause fatal injuries when they strike workers.
- Pinch point accidents. Workers may be fatally crushed by or between the various pieces of large machinery found on construction sites.
- Electrocutions. Electrocution deaths are frequently the result of poor communication or a lack of posted warnings. This can cause an employee to come into contact with a live electrical component or lines that are drawing a current.
Protecting Your Recovery
In the aftermath of a loved one’s death, a lawsuit is the last thing most family members want to think about. However, while no legal proceeding can truly compensate families for their losses, a lawsuit can provide damages to aid in their financial recovery.
There are two different types of lawsuits that a deceased construction worker’s family may be entitled to pursue:
- Wrongful Death Actions. In a wrongful death action, the family of the construction accident victim doesn't sue for the harm he suffered. Instead, they pursue damages based upon the harm caused to them as a result of his passing. These damages may include loss of financial support, loss of emotional support, and loss of quality of life.
- Survivor actions. The idea behind a survivor claim is the deceased construction worker had the right to pursue a lawsuit against his employer. Since his death prevented him from doing so, the worker’s estate may be able to recover damages for his pain and suffering.
You Need an Attorney
If you’ve lost a loved one due to a fatal construction accident, you need professional representation by an experienced attorney. To discuss your claim, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by using the form on this page.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Wrongful Death Compensation in a Texas Construction Accident"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."