Q: What happens if a person dies before a car accident case is resolved?
Your loved one may no longer directly benefit from the outcome of a car accident case, but this doesn't make the lawsuit any less important. The person who caused the car crash still deserves to be held accountable and your loved one's estate should make a fair and just financial recovery.
The Car Accident Lawsuit May Continue
In Texas, the car accident case may be continued by the executor of your loved one’s estate. The executor will step in for your loved one, and any settlement or court verdict will benefit your loved one’s heirs according to the terms of your loved one’s estate or Texas law.
In some cases, such as when your loved one spoke with an attorney before death but didn't file a complaint, it might make sense to bring a wrongful death lawsuit. A wrongful death case can only be brought if the death was caused by the car accident and not caused by other factors.
Coordinate All of Your Legal Efforts
You have important legal decisions to make at a time when you're grieving the loss of your loved one. This can be overwhelming and confusing. However, you don't have to make the decisions alone.
Instead, our experienced car accident lawyers at the law firm of Steven M. Lee, PC can advise you about your rights, and we can fight hard to protect your recovery of:
- The medical costs your loved one incurred because of the accident.
- Any lost income that your loved one didn't earn as a result of accident injuries from the time of death until your loved one’s expected retirement date.
- Any funeral costs, if the crash caused your loved one's death.
- Your loved one’s pain and suffering.
- Any other damages that were a direct result of the accident, including your family’s emotional loss if your loved one who died from accident injuries.
Let our experienced accident lawyers provide you with a stress-free, no-obligation consultation so that you can make the informed decisions that are necessary after your loved one's death. Reach out to us via this website or by phone to schedule your meeting.