Pregnancy Risks Caused by a Car Crash
Vehicle collisions are always dangerous, but they're particularly risky for pregnant women. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of traumatic fetal deaths.
Vehicle Accident Pregnancy Risks
Routine pregnancies may suddenly become high-risk due to a car crash. In addition to the typical vehicle accident injuries that can affect anyone, expectant mothers are susceptible to:
- Miscarriage. When a woman is injured in a vehicle collision during her first trimester, the resulting trauma may cause her to lose the baby.
- Birth defects. Direct injury to the baby or premature birth caused by a vehicle collision can lead to the development of serious disabilities.
- Placental abruption. Abdominal trauma experienced in a vehicle accident may cause the placenta to partly or completely separate from the uterine wall. This may lead to abdominal pain, back pain, vaginal bleeding, and premature delivery, resulting in:
- Brain damage. The placenta supplies oxygen to an unborn baby’s brain. Disruption of this oxygen supply can quickly cause brain damage, resulting in cognitive problems and physical disabilities.
- Cesarean section. A placental abruption can lead to excessive bleeding, and an emergency cesarean section may be necessary to stop this bleeding and save the mother’s life.
- Hysterectomy. If severe bleeding continues after delivery, the mother may need an emergency hysterectomy. This procedure will lengthen her healing time and prevent her from having more children.
You Need an Attorney
If you’ve been involved in a vehicle accident during your pregnancy, you have the right to pursue compensation for any injuries sustained by you and your unborn child. Should loss of life occur, surviving family members may pursue a wrongful death claim for lost wages, funeral expenses, and loss of companionship.
You need an experienced attorney to protect your rights and help you receive the compensation you deserve. To learn more about what the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., can do for you, visit us on Facebook.