What to Do After an Auto Accident
In the immediate aftermath of a vehicle accident, you may not know just what to do. The combination of adrenaline, shock, and fear can be overwhelming.
However, taking the necessary steps to protect your rights can mean the difference between being taken advantage of and receiving the compensation you deserve.
After the Accident
If you’re physically able to, immediately following the accident you should:
- Report the collision. Even if you don’t seem to be seriously injured, you should still call 911. This gives the police an opportunity to investigate, interview witnesses, and complete an accident reconstruction.
- Collect evidence. Get the names and license plate numbers of any witnesses, and use your smartphone to take pictures of the accident scene.
- Get checked out. Protect both your health and your right to compensation by seeking medical treatment as soon as possible. Allow paramedics to examine you at the scene of the accident, then visit your doctor or a medical treatment center right away.
- Notify your insurance company. Regardless of fault, you should call your insurance company and let its claims agents know about the collision. Give them information about the accident, such as the names of the other drivers and any witnesses.
- Don’t sign anything. If another driver is clearly responsible for the accident, his insurance company will likely make a cash settlement offer. The amount of this offer will be low, and the insurer will require you to sign a release that absolves them of all future liability. If your injuries turn out to be more severe than you first realized, you won’t be able to pursue additional compensation if you’ve already accepted the insurance company’s offer.
- Document everything. Save any information that may be helpful in proving your case, including phone calls, emails, medical appointments, and notes about your medical progress since the accident.
Talk to an Attorney
When you’ve been injured in a vehicle accident, you need representation by an attorney with a proven track record to help you get the compensation you deserve. To learn more about what the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., can do for you, visit us on Facebook.