Posted by : attorney stevelee

Halloween Drunk Driving Accidents

Halloween is supposed to be a time to enjoy costumes, candy, and fellowship with friends, but it’s also one of the most dangerous holidays due to intoxicated drivers. Halloween parties often involve excess consumption of alcohol, leading to an increase in drunk driving accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, fatal drunk driving crashes are even more likely on Halloween than on New Year’s Eve.

Determining Fault in Drunk Driving Accidents

Pedestrians and trick-or-treaters aren’t the only ones vulnerable to being injured by drunk drivers. If you have a car accident with a driver you suspect may be intoxicated, you should:

  • Call 911. The first step after an accident with a drunk driver is to call the police. Notifying law enforcement ensures the collision will be documented. The responding police officer can examine the other driver, and measure his blood alcohol content to determine if it’s at .08 percent or more.
  • Examine the scene. While you’re waiting for the police to arrive, look around for any bottles or cans of alcohol. If you see the other driver using breath spray or mouthwash, he may be attempting to conceal intoxication. Drunk drivers also frequently try to evade responsibility by switching seats with someone else in the vehicle. If you observe any of these signs of driving under the influence, be sure to report your suspicions to the responding officer.
  • Obtain a copy of the police report. The police officer files a report that includes his notes about factors that contributed to the accident. This report typically records a measurement of the driver’s blood alcohol content if he was tested on the scene or at the hospital. Your attorney can obtain and review a copy of the police report.

Protecting Your Rights

If you’ve been injured due to the irresponsible actions of a drunk driver, you need representation by an experienced personal injury attorney to help you receive the compensation you deserve. To discuss your claim, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by using the form on this page.

Free Case Review

Fill Out The Form, It’s quick, easy and FREE. Simply tell us how to get in touch with you.

    Initial consultation is always FREE Call Us 713-CALL-LEE or CONTACT US HERE