Posted by : attorney stevelee

Collecting Defense Base Act Benefits for Your Injuries

Civilian contractors who are injured overseas are entitled to compensation under the Defense Base Act (DBA). The DBA provides medical, disability, and death benefits when eligible individuals are injured or killed during their course of employment—regardless of nationality.

Who Is Covered by the Defense Base Act?

Injured individuals meeting any of the following criteria qualify for DBA benefits:

  • Civilian contractors and employees working at any military, air, or naval base.
  • Individuals involved in public works outside of the United States on behalf of any federal agency participating in war or national defense activities.
  • Workers employed by companies providing welfare or similar services outside of the United States in support of the Armed Forces.
  • Individuals employed on lands outside of the United States that are used for military purposes.

Penalties for Failure to Provide DBA Coverage

While agencies working outside of the United States are required to carry DBA coverage, not all of them do. Employers who fail to provide DBA coverage to eligible employees may be sued for damages by the injured employee, or by his family in the event of his death. The employer will also likely face high court fees, severe fines, and the loss of government contracts.

What to Do If You’re Injured

If your injury is covered by the DBA, you should…

  • Notify your employer of the injury within 30 days.
  • Obtain Form LS-1, which authorizes treatment by the doctor of your choice.
  • Seek medical treatment.
  • File a written compensation claim within one year of the injury.

You Need an Attorney

You are entitled to receive DBA benefits in the event of an injury, but collecting the compensation you deserve can be a struggle. The legal requirements and filings are often time-consuming and complex, and you need an experienced DBA attorney to pursue a claim on your behalf. To learn more about protecting your rights, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by using the form on this page.

Free Case Review

Fill Out The Form, It’s quick, easy and FREE. Simply tell us how to get in touch with you.

    Initial consultation is always FREE Call Us 713-CALL-LEE or CONTACT US HERE