Car Accident Statistics
The great state of Texas is a wonderful place to live. We’re blessed with so many charming small towns, large cities with unlimited economic opportunities, beautiful landscapes, and some of the friendliest people in the country.
Unfortunately, Texas has also become America’s vehicle collision capital, as well. The state consistently leads the nation in car accident fatalities, and the number of wrecks increased in recent years.
Houston Accident Statistics
There are over four million miles of roadways in the Houston-Galveston area, and these roads are tasked with supporting some of the heaviest traffic in the country. Vehicle accident information is published by the Houston-Galveston Area Council in the annual State of Safety Report. This report utilizes Texas Department of Transportation records to compile vehicle crash information by county and category.
The 2017 report covers the five-year period from 2012 to 2016, revealing that the Houston-Galveston area has experienced:
- A 40 percent increase in vehicle collisions
- A 28 percent increase in collisions involving elderly drivers
- A 24 percent increase in collisions involving young drivers
- A 23 percent increase in distracted driving collisions
- A 20 percent increase in fatalities
- A 9 percent increase in serious injuries
Texas Accident Statistics
exas vehicle accidents involving serious injuries or fatalities must be reported to law enforcement. The police will file a report about the accident, which is then compiled into crash statistics. The Texas Department of Transportation publishes collision statistics for the entire state.
According to the statewide report for 2017:
- There were 3,721 vehicle-related fatalities.
- One person was killed every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds.
- One reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Compensation for Your Injuries
If you’ve been hurt in a Texas vehicle accident, you’re entitled to compensation for your medical bills, loss of income, and pain and suffering. You need a personal injury attorney to help you receive the compensation you deserve.
To learn more, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by clicking the Live Chat button on this page.