Receiving Compensation for Injuries Caused by Left-Turn Accidents
When a driver makes a left turn across one or more lanes of oncoming traffic, he must wait until all vehicles traveling in the opposite direction have passed by. When a car, truck, or motorcycle makes a left turn that results in an accident, serious injuries frequently occur.
Causes of Left Turn Accidents
Several common causes of left-turn accidents include:
- Traveling too fast for road or weather conditions.
- Poor visibility.
- The vehicle traveling straight runs a red light.
- Distracted driving.
Left-Turn Accident Liability
The driver of the vehicle turning left is nearly always at fault in a left-turn car accident. Some experts have held that the left turn is the most dangerous maneuver a motorist can make, and therefore extreme caution is needed. There are several exceptions to the rules attaching liability to the driver who made a left turn:
- The vehicle traveling in a straight path drove through a red light.
- The vehicle traveling in a straight path was speeding.
- The vehicle making a left turn began turning when it was safe to do so, but some unexpected event occurred that caused the vehicle to slow or stop its turning maneuver during the course of turning.
Look Out for Motorcycles
Unfortunately, many drivers have a habit of ignoring motorcycles. According to Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors, a study commissioned by the National Technical Information Service (NTIS), nearly two-thirds of collisions involving motorcycles and passenger cars were the fault of the car driver. The NTIS study further stated that the most frequent type of collision involved a passenger vehicle making a left turn directly into the path of an oncoming motorcycle.
You Need an Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a left-turn accident, you deserve compensation for your medical bills and lost wages. You need an attorney who will fight to protect your rights. To learn more about what the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., can do for you, visit us on Facebook.