What the Sober Driver Can Do to Prevent Drunk Driving Crashes
You have made a commitment to never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, but what can you do to prevent others from causing drunk driving crashes? It turns out, there are many things you can do to help get drunk drivers off the road, protecting yourself, your family, and others from this dangerous and deadly practice.
Doing Your Part Before a Drunk Driver Hits the Road
The first line of defense in stopping drunk driving is preventing friends and family members who have been drinking from getting behind the wheel to begin with. You can do your part by volunteering to be a designated driver, taking an inebriated friend’s keys and calling him a cab, and by being a responsible party host. Offering plenty of non-alcoholic drinks, free transportation, and a place to spend the night are ways to ensure that your party guests don’t end up causing a drunk driving accident after leaving your home.
How to Spot a Drunk Driver
When you are out on the road yourself, calling 911 when you see a drunk driver may save a life. Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) provides the following list of signs that another driver may be intoxicated:
- Quick acceleration or deceleration
- Weaving or zigzagging across the road
- Driving anywhere other than on a road designated for vehicles
- Almost striking an object, curb, or vehicle
- Stopping without cause or erratic braking
- Drifting in and out of traffic lanes
- Signaling that is inconsistent with driving actions
- Slow response to traffic signals
- Straddling the center lane marker
- Driving with headlights off at night
- Driving slower than 10 mph below the speed limit
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving into opposing traffic on the wrong side of the road
The organization suggests staying as far away from the intoxicated driver as possible as you make note of his license plate number and pull over to call 911. Providing the location, license plate number, and a description of the car to the police may help get the driver off the road before he can hurt anyone.
What a Lawyer Can Do
If, despite your best efforts, a drunk driver causes an accident and someone is injured or killed, it’s important to understand that you are not to blame. A skilled car accident attorney can make sure the drunk driver is held accountable and that injured parties are compensated for their losses. Houston attorney Steven M. Lee will protect the rights of drunk driving victims. Connect with his office through the link on this page.