Workers’ Compensation for Burn Injuries
When most of us think of typical construction work dangers, we imagine falls from heights and equipment malfunctions. However, many construction accidents can lead to serious burn injuries.
Types of Burn Injuries
The most common types of construction burn injuries include:
- Thermal burns. These are caused by exposure to open flames, scalding water, and steam. They may also result from touching hot objects, such as overheated pipes, tools, or engines.
- Electrical burns. These are some of the most severe construction site burn injuries. They occur when skin comes in contact with overheated electrical equipment, or when electrical wiring ignites clothing.
- Chemical burns. While not as common as thermal or electrical burns in the construction industry, these burns are often serious. Chemicals used at construction sites frequently include solvents, glues, wet cement, paint, and paint thinner. All of these may be harmful to the skin, eyes, ears, and internal organs.
The Impact of Burn Injuries
Construction site burn injuries may result in:
- Severe pain. Burns are some of the most painful injuries construction workers may face.
- Lost wages. Nerve damage and persistent pain may prevent construction workers from returning to the job, resulting in a substantial loss of income.
- Scarring and disfigurement. Severe burns can cause a lifetime of scarring and disfigurement, requiring painful and expensive cosmetic surgery.
- Emotional scarring. The scars suffered by construction workers aren’t just physical. The shock caused by a serious accident, coupled with the loss in quality of life that comes with devastating burn injuries, can result in severe emotional distress.
If you’ve suffered burn injuries due to a construction site accident, you may qualify for workers’ compensation benefits. These can include medical treatment for your injuries, payments to cover lost income, disability compensation, and job retraining. If the negligent actions of a third party led to your injuries, you may also pursue compensation with a personal injury lawsuit.
You need an experienced attorney to help you receive the compensation you deserve. To learn more, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by using the form on this page.