Action Steps in a Typical Texas Truck Accident Lawsuit
When pursuing a truck accident case in Texas, it’s important to understand the steps involved in the litigation process.
Personal Injury Claim Process
Here are the typical steps involved in making a Texas large truck accident claim:
- Choosing an attorney. Selecting an attorney is the first step in pursuing a truck accident case. Since Texas imposes a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims, truck accident victims should contact an attorney as soon as possible.
- Investigation. Once an attorney is hired, he’ll begin investigating the claim. He’ll likely visit and photograph the accident scene, locate and interview any witnesses, and obtain relevant medical records. Depending on the circumstances of the case, the attorney may also hire expert witnesses, such as economists and accident reconstructionists.
- Filing the lawsuit. After the investigation, a personal injury lawsuit is filed in Texas state or federal courts. Texas law requires certain documents be filed with the court, and that the defendant be notified of the pending litigation. Depending on the nature of the claim, the attorney may attempt to settle the case out of court.
- Discovery. Once the lawsuit begins, a formal investigation process known as discovery is permitted. This may involve attorneys for both sides taking depositions, wherein they ask relevant parties questions under oath. This process may last for months, or even years.
- Negotiation. Negotiation of a settlement is the most common conclusion of a personal injury lawsuit. While settlement and negotiation may occur at any point during a personal injury case, the vast majority of cases settle prior to reaching the courtroom. An experienced truck accident attorney can often negotiate a favorable settlement on behalf of his client.
- Trial. If the parties involved are unable to reach a settlement, the personal injury case proceeds to trial. The court sets the trial dates, and the judge or jury determines the outcome of the case and the amount of compensation.
You Need an Attorney
An experienced truck accident attorney can guide you every step of the way, and help you receive rightful injury compensation. To learn more, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by clicking the Live Chat button on this page.