The Importance of Car Maintenance
Poor vehicle maintenance can significantly increase the risk of automotive accidents. All motorists should have regular vehicle checkups to ensure that their car is working properly and is safe to drive.
Crucial Car Maintenance Tasks
When your vehicle seems to be running fine, it’s easy to overlook warning signs or forget to perform important routine maintenance. Here are five dangerous vehicle maintenance mistakes you should avoid:
- Failing to replace worn tires. Driving on bald tires increases hydroplaning risk and extends your stopping distances. Plus, a high-speed blowout can cause a vehicle to roll or crash. When replacing your tires, ensure that they are perfectly balanced and aligned, since tires that aren’t aligned properly can cause you to lose control of your vehicle.
- Ignoring warning lights. If a dashboard warning light turns on, have your vehicle checked to ensure that there are no serious problems.
- Not replacing light bulbs. Failing to replace headlight bulbs can reduce nighttime visibility, and burned-out turn signals or brake lights can prevent other motorists from realizing that you intend to stop or make a turn. These bulbs are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace.
- Failing to check tire pressure. Winter temperatures can significantly decrease tire air pressure. Under inflated tires may not maintain adequate traction, and tires wear faster when they aren’t properly inflated. If your vehicle doesn’t have tire pressure sensors, be sure to check your tires using a tire pressure gauge.
- Never checking windshield wipers and fluid. Driving with bad windshield wipers or no wiper fluid can dramatically reduce visibility. Using damaged wipers can result in windshield scratches and obstruct your view. If you aren’t certain if it’s time to replace your wipers, most oil change stations or automotive supply stores will assist you with checking them.
Accidents Caused by Poor Maintenance
When a vehicle has not been properly maintained, a serious accident may be the result. If you’ve been injured in a vehicle collision, you need an experienced attorney who knows how to properly investigate the causes of the crash. To discuss your claim, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by using the form on this page.