Emotional and Psychological Injuries After a Truck Accident
When we think of truck collisions, we tend to visualize physical injuries and property damage. However, serious accidents can also leave victims with lingering stress and trauma. The psychological impact of a collision can be devastating and long-lasting.
Types of Psychological Injuries
Physical injuries aren’t the only ones that can leave scars. Victims of serious truck accidents are at increased risk of psychological problems, particularly post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, approximately nine percent of motor vehicle accident survivors develop PTSD. There are numerous emotional consequences of serious collisions, including:
- Severe anxiety.
- Depression and withdrawal from society.
- Bouts of anger.
- Intense flashbacks.
- Weight gain or loss.
- Difficulty with concentration or memory.
- Insomnia and nightmares.
- Avoidance of reminders of the accident.
Treatment of Psychological Injuries
Severe emotional and mental injuries require professional treatment. Regular therapy may be needed for a prolonged period of time, and victims might also benefit from prescription drugs. Psychological treatment can be just as expensive, if not more so, than treatment for any physical injuries. Common forms of therapy include:
- Behavioral therapy. Behavioral therapy may be used to help a truck accident victim discover ways to better manage his triggers and anxiety.
- Exposure therapy. Exposure therapy involves subjecting the truck accident victim to reminders of his trauma, in order to help him reduce avoidance and the negative emotions associated with the collision.
Proving Psychological Injuries
Unfortunately, proving that you have suffered emotional distress due to your collision with a truck isn’t that easy. Unlike physical trauma, emotional trauma isn’t visible, so you must rely on your testimony and the testimony of other witnesses to provide evidence of your emotional and mental injuries.
An experienced truck accident attorney can secure the right expert witnesses to establish your claim, and help you to receive the compensation you deserve. To learn more about what the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., can do for you, visit us on Facebook.