Your Guide to Gangway Accident Injury Recoveries
If you work on a commercial boat or other vessel, you must have safe passage on and off.
Gangways are usually reliable, but there's still potential for injury.
For example, you may be hurt because of:
- A lack of safety features. Gangways should be equipped with functioning side rails and non-slip surfaces.
- A lack of safety equipment. If you're performing work on the gangway, then it should have appropriate safety equipment, such as safety harnesses and life jackets, for example.
- Negligent platform positioning. Platforms help with efficient loading or unloading of the vessel, but they must be properly positioned and secured to prevent fall accidents.
- Failure to follow safe weight limits. Overcrowding or other weight compromising might cause a gangway to fail.
- Problems with self-adjusting leveling or stairs. Different systems accommodate various vessel heights, but a malfunction in the self-adjustment mechanism could contribute to instability.
- Failure to inspect and maintain the gangway. Weather conditions, frequent use, and other factors may cause components of the gangway to wear out or fail. If equipment isn't properly maintained, this negligence might be the cause for accidents.
Depending on the nature of your accident, you could suffer:
- Broken bones
- Back or spinal cord problems
- Concussions or another serious head injury
- Internal injuries
A fall from great height might also result in death.
Use a Skilled Attorney for Your Gangway Accident Case
Before you pursue a legal recovery, it's important to know why you were hurt. It's also critical to understand what entity might be responsible: the vessel owner, your employer, the gangway manufacturer, or another party. You may be able to recover damages for your healthcare costs, lost income, and other damages.
Start a live chat today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation with Steven M. Lee, P.C. His expertise with maritime laws and state and federal safety regulations give you the opportunity to learn about your legal rights and options for an injury case.