Types of Car Insurance
When you’re involved in a vehicle accident, you may have to depend on your own insurance coverage to make you whole. Unfortunately, many drivers in Texas only buy the minimum coverage required by the state, which simply isn’t sufficient.
The Coverage You Need
The following types of vehicle insurance coverage will provide the financial protection every Texas driver needs:
- Liability coverage. Liability insurance covers medical bills, funeral costs, lost income, and pain and suffering for the other driver and his passengers when you’re at fault. It also provides funds for the repair or replacement of the other driver’s vehicle.
- Collision coverage. Collision insurance pays to have your car repaired, or gives you actual cash value if the insurance company decides to total it. Actual cash value is your vehicle’s current value, minus depreciation.
- Comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive insurance pays for any damage to your vehicle not caused by a collision. It can also cover the cost of replacing a stolen vehicle if you report the theft to the police.
- Medical payments coverage. This insurance covers medical and funeral bills for you, your passengers, and other injured individuals, regardless of who was at fault in the accident.
- Personal injury protection coverage. This insurance is similar to medical payments coverage, but it also covers 80 percent of lost income and the expense of hiring a caregiver for injury victims.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If your accident is caused by a motorist who has insufficient or zero liability coverage, this insurance will pay for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and permanent or partial disability. It also covers the cost of auto repairs, damage to your personal property, and a rental car.
Filing an Insurance Claim
If you’ve been injured in a vehicle accident, you may find yourself dealing with insurance company delays, or even the outright denial of your claim. You need representation by an experienced attorney who can help you receive the compensation you deserve. To discuss your claim, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by using the form on this page.