Are you covered by the Defense Base Act?
The Defense Base Act (DBA) originally applied only to those individuals working on American military bases abroad.
It’s since been expanded to include most federal contractors working outside of the United States. Civilian employees of contractors supporting military and State Department operations worldwide are generally protected under the DBA.
The Defense Base Act
The DBA requires federal government contractors and subcontractors to provide workers’ compensation insurance for employees working outside of the United States. Benefits under the DBA are awarded regardless of whether or not the accident was the fault of the injured worker. Unlike other workers’ compensation programs, the DBA covers employee injuries that occur both on and off the job. This means that even off-duty injuries sustained while participating in recreational activities such as jogging, swimming, or playing basketball are compensable under the DBA.
Workers Covered by the Defense Base Act
- Individuals working for a private employer on an overseas U.S. military base or on land used for military purposes.
- Overseas workers hired under a contract approved and funded by the U.S. government that provides support to our allies.
- Individuals working for an organization that offers morale and welfare services to the military overseas.
- Overseas workers hired under a public works contract funded by any U.S. government agency involved in national defense or war activities.
Injuries Covered by the Defense Base Act
Some of the most common injuries that qualify for DBA compensation include…
- Tripping and falling on steps, injuring the back.
- Injuries sustained while ducking for cover under enemy fire.
- IED explosion injuries.
- Injuries sustained by falling out of a bunk.
- Welding injuries
You Need an Attorney
No matter where you are in the world, if you are injured abroad while working for the U.S. government, you are entitled to benefits. To get the compensation you deserve, contact the law offices of Steve M. Lee, P.C., by clicking the Live Chat button on this page.